I value backups of my data and systems. Having them means a level of security if something is lost, damaged, hacked, breaks. I may be over-compensating in some areas with multiple on-site and off-site backups. Where I do that, I’m also considering the other aspect of backups which is speed of restoration.
What do I back up?
- C:\ operating systems or equivalent for all computers in the house
- Personal photos/home video library
Where do I back up to?
My backup targets are:
- Synology DiskStation DS920+- 4 x 4TB drives, with single-redundancy. I can lose any drive and still operate/recover.
- Synology DS115 NAS - 1 unit each of 4TB and 3TB.
- Wasabi cloud storage - (Amazon S3 compatible)
- OneDrive - comes with Microsoft Office subscription
- Any number of external USB drives
- 3 x 4TB drives as a single Bitlocker encrypted Windows spanned drive
- Backup NAS-A - 1.88TB free
What do I backup with?
My backup software is
- Macrium Reflect Home Edition - primarily for imaging whole disks and quick restore in case of disk failure
- Synology HyperBackup - file backup
- SyncBack Pro - copying files in bulk and transfer to Wasabi cloud storage and usb drives
- OneDrive’s built-in sync
What is backed up?
- Macrium Reflect Home Edition - last build 2022-10-15